Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Top 400 (or so) - Introduction

In cataloging the top heavy metal(ish) albums of all time, I have found it interesting how the landscape of music has changed over the years. It is almost impossible to categorize Led Zeppelin II with White Wizzard, but I'll give it a try.

The other problem I am having is that the bottom 300 or so on this list can be very interchangeable. I think that when I am done, I'll find there is little difference between #317 and #483.

We shall see as I finalize the list, but my preliminary conclusion is that there are probably about 50 or so indispensable classics, another 150 or so really good releases, then a bunch (several hundred) of solid, but flawed records out there.

Again, stay tuned....

2 comments:

Joe Pike said...

Why include Led Led Zeppelin? Their classic rock not metal. Are you going to include Aerosmith or Blue Oyster Cult. I wouldn't. I would stick to just Metal bands.

T-_Bone said...

John - I mean Joe - you raise a good point, but I have decided this is a HR/HM list. Really, so I could include Rush. It would be interesting if I move the line a little, but then what about Rainbow? Where do you draw the line?

On the AOR side, I will not have a conflict, as I hate most Aerosmith stuff and BOC is marginal. Hawkwind is too derivative.

As far as where I think the line is drawn, I would say at Led Zeppelin. That may seem capricious, but it has to be drawn somewhere. Maybe you would draw it at Black Sabbath? Is Demon heavy enough?