Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The Gay Nineties (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

(and I mean gay like the kids say gay)

The top tens are temporarily dead. I tried doing a top 10 for 1992, but there were so many bad albums that I lost interest. I mean Dream Theater's Images and Words is one of the greatest albums of all time, and would far and away be the number one album of that year. Also, there were a couple of other good albums that year like Running Wild's Pile of Skulls Alice in Chains' Dirt. Maiden's Fear of the Dark has some bright spots and Sabbath's Dehumanizer was listenable.

Outside of that I really can think of one good album from 1992. What would be number 6? Triumph of Steel by Manowar? No thanks. I'll pass.

Anyway, I plan to pick up the top tens again, but I will certainly skip 1992 and probably 1993 as well.

4 comments:

Metal Mark said...

I thought that 92 was decent. WASP's Crimson Idol, Testament's The Ritual, Tora Tora's Wild America and Kiss-Revenge all came out.

T-_Bone said...

I kow we have slightly different tastes, but I really do not like any of those. The only one I probably never gave a fait chance was Crimson Idol, but I have heard the others. For me Wild America, other than the title song was a huge let down from Surprise Attack, which I really like a lot. The Ritual was also a big let down from Souls of Black, which is my favorite testament album.

Mike said...

The problem with the 1990's was that Grunge couldn't seem to hold the masses interests for more than a couple of years. Pearl Jam and Nirvana could only hold the top spots on the charts for so long. My favorite album from 1992 was Alice in Chains' - Dirt.

T-_Bone said...

Dirt is a really cood album. AiC is by far my favorite "grunge" band.