Monday, July 31, 2006

#99 - Satan's Fall - Mercyful Fate - Melissa (1983)



From Mercyful Fate's debut album, this is the centerpiece of that classic album. Clocking in over eleven minutes, Satan's Fall is powerful and epic. Mercyful Fate is one of those bands who peaked early, with their first and second albums being their best. Satan's Fall is only one of many great tunes on these two albums; but for me it is one of their best.

When I first heard this album, and this track in particular, I was blown away at the intensity of it, I could not believe how dark this whole album was, and I was in awe of the mood of the whole thing. I am unsure if you can call it black metal, because it sounds nothing like today's black metal, but I call it a great metal song, from a great metal album.

4 comments:

T-_Bone said...

I think there are not too many albums I would consider essential; but this is probably on that list.

Anonymous said...

Classic song!

I saw MF perform the song Melissa live in philly in 98. It was incredible.

T-_Bone said...

Fred - I bet that was very cool. I would have loved to see Fate "back in the day", and I bet the 98 show was quite cool. any other oldies that night?

Anonymous said...

Not to worry, Steve. Though I recently did add this disc to my collection, I'm still missing the follow-up.