Friday, August 18, 2006

#91 - Anguish and Fear - Yngwie Malmsteen - Marching Out (1985)



This song is probably the best song on a damn good album. This album and Anguish and Fear in particular get a boost from a great association. In college, I was in a fraternity, and while we were not your stereotypical preppy frat boys, we still had parties and the main focus of the parties was to get girls.

To that end, one of the bedrooms in the house was treated as a de facto "dance club", where one of the brothers would play dance music and the like. However, at the end of the evening, after most of the girls left, some metal CD's found their way into the sound system. On one particular evening, Marching Out hit the stereo, and that will forever stick out in my mind.

3 comments:

Metal Mark said...

I liked the first Yngwie album enough, but I tend to like albums where he played more within the song instead of the virtuoso stuff. I like his Odyssey album and the Steeler album about the best of anything I have heard that he has played on.

T-_Bone said...

Mark - I think this album is better than the first in that there are more songs. The virtuoso stuff is not really good, and I was disappointed when I saw Yngwie opening for Maiden because half og his 50 minute set was a guitar solo.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mark.....when Yngwie plays within the song, when he is part of the band, he is at his best (Alcatrazz, Steeler, the Odyssey album).

When Yngwie starts to go virtuoso and the song takes a back seat to his continuous wanking, that's when I lose interest. The guy can play guitar, as well as every other instrument, and he's an excellent player. I just can't get into him diddling all over every track and then he turns it all into a concerto. Play with some balls rather than show me how great you are.